If your home was built before 1978 there is a good chance it contains lead paint. Lead is a poison, and children who breathe or ingest lead dust or paint chips can get very sick.
Help is available. Call 716-712-5500 to find out how to get your children tested and how you can make your home lead-safe. Lead poisoning is 100% preventable so by taking action you can protect your family.
In addition to calling the helpline, there are some other things you can do that might help:
• If you rent, tell your landlord about peeling or chipping paint.
• Clean up paint chips.
• Clean floors, window frames, window sills, and other surfaces weekly with warm water and soap.
• Make sure to rinse sponges and mops after cleaning dirty or dusty areas.
• Wash children's hands often, especially before they eat and before nap and bedtime.
• Keep play areas clean. Wash bottles, pacifiers, toys, and stuffed animals regularly.
• Keep children from chewing on window sills, or anything that is painted.
• Make sure your children eat well. Kids with a good diet absorb less lead.
If you own a rental property or a home that was built before 1978, there is a good chance that it has lead paint in it. Lead paint is a hazard, but only if it is deteriorating.
The law requires that landlords maintain a safe environment for their tenants and inform them of any lead paint hazards in the property.
It might seem overwhelming but help is available – and you might qualify for free services. Call 716-712-5500 for more information.
430 kids from a Christian Mission Workcamp painted and repaired 61 homes in the City of Buffalo in June 2010! Click here for more information.
Take a look at how the campaign is making a difference, one home at a time through our before & after photos.
Watch for our campaign TV and radio ads and click here for a preview!